A Smarter Way to do Business Law in Overland Park
We are a Kansas City-based business law firm for entrepreneurs, executives and companies. We are a business goals driven firm, which means that we focus on your end results and not legal minutiae. We work with businesses large and small, from the beginning stages through each major business hurdle. We create a tailored plan to suit your business’s goals and don’t try to just provide a cookie-cutter approach. Instead, we listen to your business needs, diligently work to understand your business, and create a plan that meets those needs.
Overland Park Business Attorneys for Your Key Moments and Milestones
We are ready, willing, and able to assist your Kansas City business as your needs change over time. We have depth in contract law, information technology and general corporate expertise. Our attorneys have served as general counsel and truly do work to understand your business. We bring this depth of experience to bear on your matters. You get very experienced counsel at small firm rates.
Leawood, KS Small Business Lawyers
For example, do you want to:
- Create a partnership, limited liability company or corporation in Overland Park, Kansas?
- Buy or sell a franchise or business?
- Buy, sell, or lease real estate?
- Distribute or manufacture products or goods?
- Acquire or develop intellectual property, such as a trade secret, copyright, trademark, patent, database, or a domain name?
- Engage a IT consultant or license software?
- Negotiate a confidentiality, non-solicit, shareholder, employment, non-compete, outsourcing, independent contractor, or other important contract?
- Implement a data security, privacy, or other program or policy?
- Deal with a lawsuit, government enforcement proceeding, or other claim?
Business Attorney Leawood – Our Process
We help you determine the first course of action by reviewing the facts and coming up with an immediate action plan. Then, we help you executed that plan. Finally, we work with you to create an overall system to help you eliminate and mitigate risks in the future. We want to be your trusted adviser for the long term.
Business Attorney Cost – Small Firm Rates with Big Firm Experience
The Business Law Group is a small firm. Even though we’re small, we bring sophisticated business law expertise to the table. We do it with a personal touch through our cost-effective approach.
We have worked with businesses at all stages of their life cycle and in most every sector. We help large, international corporations as well as sole proprietors just getting started. Complex deals and business come in all sizes.
Accordingly, we offer top-notch representation with an eye on value – by keeping our overhead low and passing those savings on to you.
Leawood Business Law Firms – Call us Today
We would love to speak with you about your business. Call us today at (913) 225-8215. We will set up an appointment to discuss your business needs – both now and those in the future. We are glad that you chose us to partner with in helping you achieve your business goals.
- Business attorney Kansas City – a business attorney is a lawyer that focuses on business, or corporate law. The Business Law Group is a focused firm like this. We serve many business clients and use our experience and resources for those client.
- contract law – contract law is the business of dealing with agreements of all shapes and sizes. As you can guess, contracts can be simple, even a couple of paragraphs to being extremely complex, such as several hundred pages. Our business lawyers have worked on deals that range from a few thousand dollars to several hundred million. We work in Overland Park KS and Leawood, Olathe, Lenexa and Shawnee as well.
- business lawyer – a business lawyer is the same thing as a business attorney.
- corporate law – corporate law is more than just contract law. Instead, it focuses on the entire business and not just a slice. Our corporate attorneys do just that. We have worked both for some of the largest law firms in the world as well as general counsel to many companies.
- business lawyers – we are not a real estate attorney firm, but instead we are a business firm. You can find a good real estate lawyer if you want, but call us for a great small business lawyer.
- commercial attorney – a commercial attorney is really the same things as a corporate law attorney.
- commercial law – commercial law focuses on the business side of law. What you do as a commercial law attorney is to go through all aspects of a business and apply experience and knowledge to make sure that you use the proper tools to not just negotiate a great deal, but one that fits the overall needs of the business.
- Contract lawyers Kansas City – a Kansas City contract lawyer is typically great at negotiating the terms of an underlying agreement. For example, a good contract attorney will anticipate the needs of the client and add clauses to match those needs.
- corporate attorney – a corporate attorney is one that works for a company and focuses their legal skills on the needs of the business.
- small business attorney – many small businesses are not sure as to what legal services to get. Some settle on large law firms, which can be very pricey. Some small businesses use a general law firm, which does not focus on small business needs. It is good to get a firm that understands the needs of a small business. The best small business attorney around is one that will help you get the right legal answer without overwhelming the business with unnecessary legal costs.
- corporate lawyers – corporate lawyers are people who want to be known as a business law attorney and not business litigation. They want to be great contract lawyers.
- corporate law firms – we are the region’s best corporate law firm. We know business and how to help our clients make the most of their business. We’ve helped business clients throughout the Kansas City area, including Overland Park KS, Lenexa, Olathe, and Leawood.
- business contract – a good business contract will be one that is drawn up the your own company lawyer. You don’t want the other side to draft your contracts as those are one-sided and tilted in their favor. Instead, a good business contract helps you mitigate the risks with your own business.
- Kansas City corporate law firm – a good law firm will focus on an area. We are the region’s best corporate law firm because we focus on business law. As the region’s best business law firm, we continually assess ourselves and continue to improve our skills in the lawyer business
- small business law – as we’ve mentioned before, small business law is not the same as big business law. As a small business owner, you need to focus on core business principles. Who cares if the risk goes down by 2-3% if the cost makes cash flow impossible? A great corporate law attorney will make sure that they are the lawyer for business, and not a high-priced corporate law expert.
- LLC lawyer – we certainly understand the ins and outs of corporate law as well as how it differs for limited liability companies throughout Kansas and Missouri.
- business law lawyer – a good lawyer will understand the business and business law. The best business law lawyers understand the goals of the business and use that understanding to provide good counsel to move the businesses interests forward. A good business law lawyer will only draft a great agreement while a great attorney will make sure that the risks are mitigated and the contract fully meets the business needs.
- LLC attorney – A limited liability company is one that has multiple owners and can be taxed either as a partnership (which is normal) or as a corporation. A good LLC attorney understands the difference and is able to use the structure to shield personal liability from the owners of the company.
- lawyers in business – lawyers in business are those attorneys that understand the values that drive the needs of the business and the owners. Lawyers in business law are strong in that knowledge and focus their energies on the end goals – reducing risk and increasing high value added projects while putting minimal time in matters that have low risk.
- company attorney – your company attorney will be on that helps out your company through all of their legal processes. Many company attorneys are those that handle an entire range of issues, from contracts, to labor relations to civil litigation. Lawyers can do all of these things, although most great company attorneys are strong in certain areas and get expertise in other areas when needed.
- lawyer for small business – a lawyer for small business is one that is able to focus on the important issues while keeping costs low. A lawyer for small business does not have the luxury of having a large client that can afford to mitigate all risk areas. Instead, the business needs are focused as one of the biggest risks is cost.
- business contract lawyer – a good business contract lawyer is one that understands all of the terms and conditions of the contract and is able to argue persuasively for those issues that are crucial to the business while keeping the other side from overruling the needs of the business.
- company lawyers – company lawyers are those that represent a specific business or company. The business lawyer will make sure that they have defined exactly what it is that they do for the company.
- Probate and Estate Planning – although we do not do any estate planning law, we do know of several great firms that do.
- Small business law firm – the Business Law Group is the best small business law firm in metropolitan Kansas City, including clients in Overland Park, KS, Olathe, Lenexa and Leawood.
Corporate Counsel – How we Work
The Business Law Group is a firm dedicated to business matters. We are a group of highly skilled attorneys (many from AmLaw 200 backgrounds, General Counsel, etc.) that bring fantastic business counsel to you. Our rates are lower because we understand how business truly works and we dedicate ourselves to reducing overhead and bringing those cost savings to you.
The Best Counsel – Great Rates. Call us today.
What are we known for?
• Business formation — Starting a business requires meticulous and comprehensive planning. Issues such as entity formation, corporate formality compliance, financial planning, tax implications and potential liabilities must be carefully considered when creating a business. Should one of these areas be overlooked, you could be faced with a host of problems long before your business is even up and running.
• Mergers, acquisitions and other transactions — We guide business owners and directors through every step of the process of acquiring or selling a business, including financing, due diligence and corporate governance.
• Advising and consulting — We help our clients with matters of documentation and compliance to help them make business decisions that are legally sound and strategically beneficial. We can help you run your business in a way that supports your growth and minimizes your risks of litigation.
• Commercial real estate — We understand the importance of acquiring and managing the proper real estate. We assist clients with purchases, sales, commercial leases and related construction law matters.
• Dissolution and transfer — Putting an end to a business is not as simple as hanging a “Closed” sign on the front door. There are legal and financial requirements that must be met to avoid liability and protect your interests.
Overland Park Formation: LLCs, Partnerships, Corporations
The decision to form a business is a significant personal, financial and legal undertaking. In the early stages of your business, a single mistake can have lasting implications. The right legal representation can mean the difference between success and failure.
At The Business Law Group in Overland Park, Kansas, we have helped many entrepreneurs and business owners bring their new ventures to market. We have a comprehensive understanding of limited liability companies (LLCs), limited partnerships (LPs), nonprofit organizations and partnerships. We oversee the entity creating process and assure that all necessary documents are filed so as to comply with regulatory formalities.
We offer strategic counsel and legal guidance through every stage of business formation — from choosing the right type of business entity to establishing the proper contracts and permits.
The Next Best Thing To Having Your Own Corporate Counsel
We know that creating the actual business entity is only the beginning. We strive to provide you with the tools and information you need to make strategic decisions that fuel your business’s growth and success. We frequently see clients return for legal advice regarding real estate and business acquisition, employment law matters and litigation as they develop their businesses.
Kansas Attorney Handling the Buying or Selling of a Business
The buying or selling of a business frequently necessitates the advice and guidance of an experienced business law lawyer. At the Business Law Group in Leawood, we focus on providing businesses with professional representation and knowledgeable counsel when buying or selling a business.
Our firm has handled numerous transactions involving the sale of businesses. We advise clients on either side of the sale, ensuring their rights in the transaction are fully protected.Contact us to discuss your specific business sale issues.
Many buyers and sellers attempt to use a pre-printed form for the purchase or sale of a business. They may do this to save the expense of a good business law attorney, but this savings may be short-lived. A generic document will fail to cover specific elements of your transaction, and your interests may be compromised, the deal may be lost, and legal fees extracting your business will be many times what it would have cost to have retained experienced legal counsel upfront.
Understanding the Business
It is essential that you fully understand what you are getting into when considering purchasing a business. As the potential buyer, you must understand all aspects of the business, including any problems. In some cases, potential difficulties may outweigh the future potential profit of the business and not be in your interests. Our firm acts in a consulting capacity, performing a complete due diligence review of the business before any actual negotiations or transactions take place and offering our professional assessment and evaluation. Due diligence is similar to a legal audit. All agreements, potential and actual litigation, corporate records, security interests, loans are reviewed to determine the status of the company from a legal perspective.
The typical procedure involves drafting a letter of intent, purchase agreement and due diligence review.
To further discuss your options when buying or selling of a business, contact the Business Law Group in Leawood or Overland Park, Kansas. Our office is dedicated to helping you create, manage, protect and grow your business entity and its future. If necessary, we can be involved in litigation if there are any disputes that arise. Call us for a FREE initial consultation. For your convenience, evening and weekend appointments are available by request.
Business Dissolution And Transfer Of Ownership
There are many reasons a business owner may choose to wind down a business entity, such as retirement, financial reasons or simply being ready to move on. Whatever the reason, dissolving a business or transferring its ownership is rife with legal issues and it is essential to take steps to protect yourself.
At The Business Law Group, we assist business owners, executives and shareholders throughout the full life cycle of a business — from its formation to its eventual sale, transfer or dissolution. We have helped many clients meet the legal challenges associated with closing a business. We also work with great estate planning attorneys to help you with your business. See https://theeastmanlawfirm.com/
We can help you address:
• Financial ramifications
• Purchase or sale of business
• Employee and customer relationships
• State and federal regulations
• Tax issues
• Licensing requirements
• Notifying state agencies and tax authorities
Different types of businesses, such as LLCs, corporations and partnerships, all have their own unique requirements for termination or transfer.
Closing your business is rarely an easy decision, and other parties like shareholders and executives can make it even more difficult. We assist clients who need to resolve disputes over a business’s end. In some cases, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit to pursue your interests and make the right decision for your business.
Startup Attorney: How We Can Help Your Leawood Startup Business
As Overland Park startup attorneys, it is a privilege to work with innovative, new companies. We particularly enjoy it because of the energy and the enthusiasm founders bring. Helping entrepreneurs bring their ideas to life is what makes being a startup lawyer fun. As a startup attorney, another benefit is that the legal issues that emerging-growth companies face are often very intellectually challenging: Disruptive, game-changing technology is often at the bleeding-edge of law.
At the very outset, startups typically need work with founders’ agreements, entity selection and formation, and assignment of intellectual property to the corporation. Frequently that involves forming a Delaware C-Corporation. As the company starts to gain traction, startups need to assistance with contracts, employment matters, funding, and more help with their IP. Generally, we can assist with all of those items, and should something be outside of our capabilities, We can usually provide our clients with introductions to other professionals and businesses who may be able to assist them.
Call us today at (913) 225-8215 for a no-obligation initial consult.
Typical Start-Up Business Issues:
Beginning a startup is exciting and consuming
There are also many legal perils that startups face. Entrepreneurs need to be focused on building their businesses not learning how to practice law. We can advise your Kansas and Missouri startup on issues such as –
Best Business Formation for Your Startup
Intelligently choose between Missouri, Delaware, or somewhere else. Make an informed decision on whether to have an S-Corp., C-Corp, Limited Liability Company (LLC), or a partnership.
Founders’ Agreements and Stock for Startups
If you have more than one founder, you need to be very careful and memorialize the agreement among founders to avoid legal problems later. You also want to make sure that you have vesting in place so that if a founder leaves he or she doesn’t have a disproportionate interest in the business.
Funding for Startups in Overland Park
Are you planning on bringing in outside money. Don’t underestimate the importance of compliance with the state and federal securities laws. I can help with seed, angel, and venture capital financing for startups whether its common stock, convertible debt or securities, or issuance of preferred stock.
Trademark, Copyright, Trade Secret, and Patent Issues
Most startups have intellectual property to safeguard. Be sure that you have legal advice on how to protect your IP.
• Strategic Entity Formation
• Dissolving Entities
• Equity Agreements
• Entity Conversions
• Employee Agreements
• Shareholder Agreements
• Stock Purchase Agreements
• 83(b) Elections
• Angel Round Financing
• Separation Agreements
4901 West 136th Street Suite 220
Leawood, KS 66224-7900